MRUS MASSAGE THERAPY RETURN TO WORK PLAN :COVID-19
Pre Screen Tool : You will be emailed a survey to fill out prior to your appointment.
(Please complete thoroughly and honestly prior to booking and appointment)
Registered Massage Therapists are directed under the legislation of the government of British Columbia, as well as the College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia (CMTBC) to mitigate risk by creating a critically thought out plan to return to clinical practice. This plan was created with required guidelines approved by both governing bodies and the recommended practice guidelines provided by the Registered Massage Therapists Association of BC (RMTBC). This plan will change and be updated as the requirements provided by these parties change. The overall aim of this plan and resulting protocols is to reduce the risk of exposure to coronavirus and potential coronavirus transmission, for both patients and RMT within our clinical setting.
Good Personal Practices For Everyone:
· Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If not able to wash hands, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol can be used. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
· Clean and disinfect high touch surfaces frequently. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks many times per day and after any human contact.
· Keep 2 meters or 6 feet apart (social distancing). Remember that some people without symptoms may be able to spread the virus.
· Be particularly mindful of those who are at the highest risk of getting very sick: those over 65, individuals in a care home or long term care facility, those with underlying medical conditions – particularly if not well controlled, those with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma, those with heart conditions, those who are immunocompromised, those who are severely obese, those with diabetes, those with chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis and those with liver disease.
· Always cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow. Wash hands and/or use hand sanitizer. Throw used tissues in the trash.
PRE-SCREENING – PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
· Patients understand that a specific COVID-19 screening and waiver of liability form will be required at every appointment. The consent will state that: the patient understands that while registered massage therapists (RMTs) at Mrus Massage Therapy are following all of the health and safety guidelines outlined by the College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia, the Provincial Health Officer and Registered Massage Therapists Association of British Columbia, and taking all reasonable precautions to clean and disinfect the clinic and all the surfaces within the treatment room, there are no guarantees that the patient may not come into contact with COVID-19. The patient also agrees that: the patient believes that the benefits of this massage therapy appointment, outweigh the risk of possible exposure and viral transmission of COVID-19, and will not hold Melanie Mrus, Coral Nast or Mrus Massage liable if they contract COVID-19. They consent to treatment and want to go ahead with the treatment despite the risk.
· Before booking your appointment please complete, thoroughly and honestly, the BC COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment Tool at https://bc.thrive.health/covid19/en . Do not book an appointment if you answered yes to any of the questions and contact 8-1-1 or your family physician to find out how to get tested for COVID-19.
· RMTs at Mrus Massage Therapy will use the BC COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment Tool on treatment days and will cancel appointments if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and will call 8-1-1 and/or family physician for further direction and testing. Results of the self-assessment tool will be shared on request.
If testing is positive, patients will be informed and the RMT will not return to practice until cleared by a public health official AND not before 10 days beyond the onset of symptoms
· If the RMT’s spouse, housemates, or any other close contact becomes ill, she will cancel appointments and only return to practice once negative testing results come back or clearance to return from a public health official.
· One day prior to your appointment you will be called or emailed a screening survey that you will need to thoroughly and honestly answer. Your responses will be added to your medical records chart at Mrus Massage Therapy. The survey will instruct you that you may keep your appointment or cancel your appointment immediately (no cancellation fee will be charged) and contact 8-1-1 or your family physician to find out how to get tested for COVID-19.
· If you are a patient with greater risk/a higher risk profile/ a weakened immune system, please seek alternatives for care at this time. Massage Therapy treatment will only be provided when both therapist and patient agree that the benefits of massage therapy outweigh the risk to the patient, which includes possible transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19. Therefore, I will not be treating those with greater risk at this time.
· Patients who develop even mild illness or symptoms should cancel booked appointments immediately, even without notice (no cancelation fee will be charged).
RECEPTION / ENTRY
· Patient must arrive unaccompanied.
· Please do not enter the clinic if they have any of the signs, symptoms, or travel risks associated with COVID-19
· Patient is required to wait in their car or in the parking lot. Your RMT will physically open the door for you once the clinic has been cleaned.
· Immediately upon arrival to the clinic the patient will wash hands using soap and water followed by hand sanitizer before heading to the treatment room. All contact points in the washroom will be cleaned and disinfected after every use. Hand washing protocols are posted in washroom.
· RMT will wash hands often and when required, using soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds each time.
IN THE TREATMENT ROOM
· Social distancing is not possible in the treatment room.
· Hand sanitizer and tissues will be made available in the treatment room for RMT and patient use.
· At any time, the patient may ask the therapist to sanitize her hands, any object or surface.
Therapist and patient must wash hands before and after the treatment.
· During treatment, the therapist will wear a cloth mask that will be changed between treatments.
Patients should bring their own unworn, unused face mask. Donning a mask prior to entering the building and continuing to wear the mask for the duration of your stay indoors.
Inter-oral and face treatments will not be practiced at this time.
· Visibly soiled surfaces will be cleaned, followed by disinfection.
· All high-touch surfaces will be cleaned and disinfected in between patients, regardless of appearance. This includes chairs, stools, massage table, surface below face cradle, oil bottle, treatment tools, handles, door handles, faucets, electronic device keyboards, phones, point of sale device, desk and shelf surfaces.
· Cleaning and disinfecting with be done with approved hard-surface disinfectants. All clutter, decorations and items that cannot be washed, wiped, or sanitized will be removed from reception, washroom, and treatment spaces.
· All linens will be in cleanable vinyl storage bags.
· Linens have always been single use only. They will be laundered professionally in hot soapy water. Blankets and cloth pillows will not be used during treatment until further notice.
· A heating pad with changed covering can be used during treatment, if desired by the patient. Vinyl covered clay heat packs can also be used if preferred.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
· During treatment, the therapist will wear a mask.
· Gloves will be worn in the case that the therapist or patient has open injuries or cuts. The patient may also request the RMT wears gloves during their treatment.
· Patients should bring their own unworn, unused mask. If forgotten there are paper masks available at the clinic.
· Patients may request the RMT enhance either the patients’ PPE or the therapists’ PPE, at any time. Stock on hand will be: gloves, face masks, safety goggles, and apron for therapist. Proper donning and doffing will be used for all requested items.
· All RMTs at Mrus Massage Therapy carry professional liability insurance.
· All RMTs at Mrus Massage Therapy follow the health and safety guidelines outlined by the College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia, the Provincial Health Officer and the Registered Massage Therapists Association of BC. We are taking all reasonable precautions to clean and disinfect the clinic and all the surfaces within the treatment room.
· No guarantees have been made by the therapist or Mrus Massage Therapy, that the patient may not come in contact with COVID-19 virus at or during an appointment.
In the Event That a Patient Tests Positive for Covid-19 Having Been to a Massage Therapy Appointment within the 14-days Prior to Onset of Symptoms
· The patient will contact the therapist and inform her of positive test results and possible transmission of the virus immediately.
· The therapist will immediately self-isolate.
· The therapist will call public health at 8-1-1 to report the possible transmission and act on direction of Provincial Health.
In the event that a patient alleges they caught COVID-19 from the RMT:
· The RMT must immediately call public health at 8-1-1 and report the alleged transmission, providing both the RMT’s name and the name and contact information of the patient. The patient must agree to the release of this informationto receive treatment.
· The RMT must not provide any further massage therapy treatment to anyone until public health has investigated and has provided direction.
· The RMT must immediately self-isolate until the matter has been investigated and public health direction has been provided.
In the event that an RMT at Mrus Massage Therapy catches COVID-19 or displays symptoms of COVID-19
· The RMT must immediately call public health at 8-1-1 and get tested for COVID-19
· The RMT will not provide any further massage therapy treatment to anyone until public health has provided direction.
· The RMT must immediately self-isolate until public health direction has been provided.